Share this:

" />
Published On: Sun, Sep 13th, 2020

Govt Likely To Make Statement On China Stand-Off In Parliament

Share This
Tags

parliament-pti-647-081015032437-081015105703-1549883049-1560704716NEW DELHI : The Union government is expected to make an statement regarding the India-China border standoff in Parliament on Monday, the first day of the stormy monsoon session. China’s Wolf Warrior policy plays out, but what really is troubling the nation.
The matter was raised at the parliament’s Business Advisory Committee meeting today, which was meant to discuss and slot agenda for business for the coming session.
Asked whether a statement will be made on the India-China stand-off, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi said, “On Tuesday we will have a leaders’ meeting and keeping in mind the sensitivities of the situation, and the strategic points in mind, the government will take a decision and we will brief the leaders in the meeting”.
The border tension between the two nations has been going on for more than four months now despite several rounds of agreements for de-escalation.
The government has been under consistent attack from Congress leaders, spearheaded by Rahul Gandhi, over the stand-off with China at the Line of Actual Control or LAC, the de facto border between the two nations.
“On Tuesday we will have a leaders’ meeting and keeping in mind the sensitivities of the situation, and the strategic points in mind, the government will take a decision and we will brief the leaders in the meeting”.
“We have said that the government is ready for discussion whatever the issue may be,” said Mr Joshi.
The transgressions by soldiers of the People’s Liberation Army at Pangong Lake and several other areas have been escalating. On June 15, 20 Indian soldiers were killed in the line of duty in Ladakh – a first in more than four decades.
Twice over the last two weeks, Chinese troops had engaged in provocative action in the south bank of the glacial Pangong Lake.But India was able to “prevent these attempts to unilaterally alter the status quo” at the LAC, the Foreign Ministry had said, underscoring that there were no physical clashes.
The last action on August 31 was a daytime operation during which Indian soldiers were surrounded by Chinese soldiers, who were trying to regain the heights that are being dominated by the Indian Army.
Given the circumstances, the government would have found it difficult to avoid a discussion on the issue, sources said. Over the last months, Congress’s Rahul Gandhi has directed frequent barbs at Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his government, demanding that the real situation at the LAC be revealed to the nation.
“The Chinese have taken our land. When exactly is GOI planning to get it back? Or is that also going to be left to an ‘Act of God’?” the Congress leader tweeted earlier this week.
(With Agency Inputs ).

Print

About the Author

nrajeevranjan@gmail.com'

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>