It turned out to be a black Sunday for the Congress as it lost Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh to BJP.
The only saving grace for the Congress seems to be Chhattisgarh where the Congress is in a neck-and-neck race with the BJP.
A party needs 46 seats to form the government.
* Veteran Congress leader Motilal Vora’s son Arun defeats BJP’s Hemchand Yadav by a margin of 5,621 votes in Chhattisgarh’s Durg city constituency.
* Congress leader Ajit Jogi’s son, Amit wins Marwahi seat by defeating BJP’s Samira Paikra by a margin 46,250 votes.
* Chhattisgarh agriculture minister Chandrashekhar Sahu of BJP loses to Congress’s Dhanendra Sahu in Abhantpur by 8,354 votes
* Congress leaders – Amit Jogi, Satyanarayan Sharma – and BJP leader Amar Agarwal win.
* Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh defeats Congress’ Alka Mudaliyar in Rajnandgaon constituency by 35,866 votes. Alka is wife of Congress leader Uday Mudliar, who was killed in naxal attack in Darbha valley under Bastar region May this year. “It is a historic day and I thank people of the state for BJP’s hattrick,” Singh stated.