Share this:

" />
Published On: Wed, Aug 19th, 2020

Top Court directs CBI to probe Sushant Singh Rajput’s death case

Share This
Tags

SC-on-Sushant-Singh-Rajput-caseNEW DELHI/MUMBAI: The Supreme Court on Wednesday directed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to investigate the unnatural death of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput.
The Top Court has asked the Mumbai Police to hand over all the evidence they have collected in connection the case so far to the CBI. Rajput was found dead in his flat in Mumbai on 14 June. Police said he had killed himself.
Since then, unverified details about his career, financial status and even mental health have dominated headlines. It has led to a tussle over who has jurisdiction to investigate – police in Mumbai or his home state Bihar.
A single judge bench of the Supreme Court said that the Bihar government was competent to request the case be transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). It has also asked the Mumbai police to hand over all evidence collected so far to the investigating agency.
The CBI will take over the investigation into actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death, the Supreme Court ordered today, asking the Mumbai police to hand over all evidence it has collected to the agency. His family, who have filed a case of abetment to suicide against his girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty, have also been asking for the case to be transferred away from Mumbai. On social media, she has been called a “gold digger” who “took away Sushant’s money”.
In a win for Bihar in its tussle with Maharashtra, the Supreme Court also said the FIR registered in Patna based on a complaint filed by Sushant Singh’s father was correct and Bihar was competent to ask the CBI to investigate the case. A “fair, competent and impartial probe” is the need of the hour to stop speculation, said the top court.
The Top Court said since the Mumbai police had registered only an accidental death report, it had limited investigation powers. The Bihar police, however, registered a “full-fledged FIR” which already stands referred to the CBI, the court said.

The Supreme Court’s ruling directing a CBI probe into Sushant Singh Rajput’s death has gone down in history as a case where a single judge bench exercised the powers under Article 142 of the Constitution.
Citing the Justice LS Panta judgement, Justice Hrishikesh Roy said: “Under Article 142 of the Constitution, this court, in the exercise of its jurisdiction, may pass such decree or make such order as is necessary for doing complete justice in any ’cause’ or ‘matter’ pending before it.
The expression ’cause’ or ‘matter’ would include any proceeding pending in court and it would cover almost every kind of proceeding in court, including civil or criminal.”

Sushant Singh Rajput’s family and Bollywood celebrities like Ankita Lokhande, Kriti Sanon, and Akshay Kumar on Wednesday welcomed the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the transfer of Bihar Police’s FIR in the actor’s death case to the CBI.
Kangana Ranaut I want to congratulate all the Sushant warriors. The message is loud & clear. The Indian community came together to bring justice for Sushant.
The investigation related to Sushant Singh Rajput’s death is continuing. CBI  team will visit Mumbai in due course for further investigation. Other details can not be shared at this stage: says CBI.
Eminent criminal lawyer Ujjwal Nikam said that the verdict will have several far-reaching consequences. “This is the first time in history that a crime is committed in one place, the FIR is lodged in another place and investigation will be done by a third agency, CBI,” said Nikam.
“Sushant Singh Rajput was a talented actor in the Mumbai film world and died well before his full potential could be realised. His family, friends and admirers are keenly waiting for the outcome of the investigation,” the court said, adding that the outcome would be a measure of justice for the actor’s father, who lost his only son.
BMC Commissioner said If CBI team comes for 7 days they’ll be automatically exempted from quarantine if carrying confirmed return ticket, as per MCGM’s existing quarantine guidelines. If they come for more than 7 days they’ve to apply for exemption via our email id, we’ll exempt them: Notably, the BMC had forcibly quarantined Bihar IPS officer Vinay Tiwari, who had gone to Mumbai to probe the case.
Mumbai Police is likely to make an attempt for a parallel investigation along with the CBI. Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said ‘We welcome the judgement of the Supreme Court and we will provide whatever cooperation is needed by the CBI. It is a matter of pride for the Mumbai Police that the Supreme Court observed there is no fault in their investigation.”
“The state government will think as per paragraph 34 of the Supreme Court order,” Deshmukh says on being asked by reporters if the Mumbai Police will conduct a parallel investigation in the case.
(Mumbai Bureau with agency Inputs).

 

 

 

 

Print

About the Author

nrajeevranjan@gmail.com'

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>