Share this:

" />
Published On: Tue, Feb 4th, 2020

Kerala declared coronavirus a “state calamity”.

Share This
Tags

elizabeth-coronavirus-outbreak-hospital-reception-temperature-following_cd3f9564-464e-11ea-b9ea-c2a424b98379THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: A third person was diagnosed with the deadly coronavirus in Kerala on Monday even as the first death outside of China was reported in the Philippines, prompting many countries to take stringent steps, including travel restrictions, to limit the spread of the disease.
Kerala has stepped up efforts in fight against the lethal disease caused by Novel Coronavirus- declared a “state calamity” on Monday- after confirming first three cases in India in the last five days. More than 40,000 health officials, government employees, ground staff have been mobilised for three hugely challenging tasks – surveillance, contact tracing and counselling.
The viral disease, which has killed 450 people in China where it originated in December, was declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organisation last week as it spread to more than 20 countries.
“Co-ordination is being carried out at a mammoth scale. The health department has over 40,000 employees. There are forty other state government departments – animal husbandry, revenue. Several departments will be working together. This goes all the way down to the 1,200 local self government institutions, right till the ground level”, Rajan Khobragade, State Health Principal Secretary, explained. The Rapid Response Team in Trivandrum is chaired by the state health minister herself.
Sources have confirmed to NDTV that health officials in Kerala sought support from the civil aviation ministry and details of passengers who traveled with the affected three students fron Wuhan before the screenings began at airports across the country. Over 50,000 passengers across the country were screened at airports across the country till Saturday, Union Health Ministry said.
Contact tracing begins with a detailed interview of the patients, helping them recall as as many details of people they came in direct contact with. Details can be location specific, names of places they visited or people they met.
More than 600 people were evacuated by India from Wuhan, where they were locked down amid outbreak, over the weekend. “Most students studying at Wuhan are from Kerala and that’s why we have been making these mass appeals, intensifying all our measures to contain any possible spread. While people are responding to our appeals very well. If there are people who do not co-operate, we may be forced to take action”, KK Shailaja, Kerala’s Health Minister has said.
On Monday, Kerala declared coronavirus a “state calamity”. This would mean ‘all hands on deck’, officials said. “All leaves have been cancelled , seven district collectors were to leave for Mussoorie for their training. Now, they have been asked to stay back. It’s about streamlining the government machinery to break the chain of contact,” state health minister said.
There is a special designated team of doctors and counsellors who have been personally calling the people under isolation at homes or at hospital. So far, they have personally called and counselled 372 people, giving them specific numbers to call back at any point if they are anxious or fearful about anything.
We already had 105 counsellors posted in 10 districts affected by floods in the last two years. So this positioned us in a much better way to reach out to effected families for counselling”, Dr Kiran, the nodal officer for mental health in the state, told.
The death toll from the coronavirus has soared to 425 with 62 new fatalities were recorded in China in the past 24 hours, raising the worldwide total to 20,438. The virus has sent ripples of fear across the world. Hong Kong reported its first death in the coronavirus outbreak on Tuesday, the second fatality outside mainland China.

Meanwhile, China has opened a 1,000-bed makeshift hospital built in record 10 days at Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus outbreak in central China’s Hubei Province.
No coronavirus case has been reported in Nagaland so far, and the administration has taken up all measures in conformity with the Central guidelines related to the deadly virus, an official said.
Out of the 33 persons who had come to Nagaland recently from the coronavirus affected countries, none was found to have symptoms of the virus, health and family welfare department Principal Director Dr Vizolie Z Suokhrie said.
However, those coming from China have been quarantined in compliance of the protocol set by the Centre, Suokhrie said in a statement here on Monday.
(With Agency Reports).

Print

About the Author

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>