Share this:

" />
Published On: Sat, Nov 25th, 2017

Hardliners who have surrounded Islamabad burn tyres as they clash with police

Share This

islamabad-afp_650x400_61511614680ISLAMABAD : 1 person killed, over 139 injured after police cracked down on a sit-inForces fired tear gas, rubber bullets as demonstrators burned police vans.Protesters demanding Pak law minister’s resignation since November 6
The Pakistani government has authorised the powerful military to deploy troops to secure the capital Islamabad after violence broke out today when security officials attempted to disperse a sit-in, the interior ministry said.
The request was made by Islamabad Capital Territory authorities, according to an interior ministry order, which said the federal government had authorised the deployment of “sufficient troops” to “control law and order” in the city until further notice.

At least one person has been been killed, more than 130 injured and small demonstrations are spreading to other cities. Thousands of security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets as the demonstrators blocked roads and burned police vehicles around the site of the sit-in, which has choked a main highway and virtually paralysed the capital for nearly three weeks.

An Islamabad police spokesman confirmed that a policeman was killed in the fighting after he was struck in the head by a rock, and an AFP journalist saw what appeared to be the body of at least one demonstrator lying on the road in the capital.

At least 139 injured people have been taken to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences in Islamabad, a spokesman from the hospital told AFP, adding that 93 of them were members of the security forces.
The sit-in by the little-known hardline group called Tehreek-i-Labaik Ya Rasool Allah Pakistan (TLYRAP) has blocked the main road into the capital used by thousands of commuters since November 6, causing hours-long traffic snarls and enraging commuters.
The protesters, who before today numbered some 2,000 people, are demanding that Pakistan’s law minister Zahid Hamid resign over a hastily-abandoned amendment to the oath that election candidates must swear.
Demonstrators have linked it to blasphemy — a highly contentious issue in Pakistan — and claim the oath was softened to enable the participation of Ahmadis, a long-persecuted minority sect. The protesters come from the Barelvi sect of Islam that has strong ties to Sufism — a mystical branch of the religion that is seen as moderate.

However the execution in 2016 of Barelvi follower Mumtaz Qadri — who assassinated liberal Punjab governor Salman Taseer over his stance on the country’s blasphemy laws — led members of the group to take a more hardline stance against any moves to reform the legislation.
“These people already had a grudge against the government and the government just provided them the opportunity to vent out their anger,” said political analyst Hasan Askari.
Smoke and tear gas filled the air in the ongoing, hours-long bid by some 8,500 police as well as paramilitary Rangers and Frontier Corps forces to clear the demonstrators, which began soon after dawn. AFP reporters at the site said dozens more demonstrators were arriving.A protester of Tehreek-i-Labaik Yah Rasool Allah Pakistan shouts slogans during the clash (AFP)Fresh protests were also springing up in other cities. Police in Karachi said some 200 protesters were blockading a major road in the southern port, with at least nine injured people — including three with gunshot wounds  brought to hospital, according to doctors.

Markets and shops were closing in the megacity, Pakistan’s commercial hub, as alarmed residents stayed inside while clerics called for more demonstrators to come out. Smaller demonstrations were breaking out in Lahore and other cities, according to local media.
As the clashes intensified, Pakistan’s powerful military chief phoned Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi to urge the situation be handled “peacefully,” military spokesman Major General Asif Ghafoor said on Twitter.  General Qamar Javed Bajwa called for both sides to avoid violence “as it is not in national interest”.

Pakistan’s media regulator barred local TV channels from broadcasting live images from the scene, though protesters were still using Facebook Live and other social media. Authorities have hesitated to act against the sit-in, citing fears of violence as the demonstrators have vowed to die for their cause.

But their weeks of inaction have sparked the wrath of residents as well as Pakistan’s judiciary, with the Supreme Court issuing a blistering statement earlier in the week and the Islamabad High Court threatening to hold officials in contempt.
The sit-in had previously cost the life of an eight-year-old child whose ambulance could not reach a hospital in time due to the blocked roads. Analysts and critics have accused the government of bungling its response to the protest, and allowing a minor issue to grow into a headline-grabbing and potentially dangerous situation.

“Politically driven procrastination has its own costs and this is what the government is paying,” analyst Imtiaz Gul told AFP. The government delays had “allowed all like-minded people to organise and prepare for the protests,” he said, adding that whether or not the government is forced to ask for military aid “it has already become explosive”Reuters.Agency.


About the Author

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>