Share this:

" />
Published On: Thu, May 14th, 2020

BJP Men Caught Booking Train Tickets At Hiked Up Price To Migrant Labourers

Share This
Tags

SuratSURAT: A man was arrested in Surat city of Gujarat on Friday for allegedly beating up a migrant from Jharkhand over booking of train tickets.While the opposition Congress claimed that accused Rajesh Verma is a BJP worker, the ruling party denied it.

A video of the incident which took place outside the accused’s office went viral on social media.”Vasudev Verma, who hails from Jharkhand, had given money to Rajesh to buy train tickets for his native state,” said Assistant Commissioner of Police AM Parmar.

“Rajesh beat up Vasudev after he went to collect the tickets on Thursday and they had a heated argument. We have arrested Rajesh.”The Congress alleged that Rajesh was a BJP worker and fleecing helpless migrant workers who wanted to go home by Shramik Special trains.
But the BJP said he had nothing to do with the party.”Rajesh Verma is not a BJP worker. The party has nothing to do with this,” said Surat BJP president Nitin Bhajiawala.
The government and the ruling BJP responded by claiming the Railways paid 85 per cent of ticket prices with the states (origin and destination) paying the remaining 15 per cent, indicating that tickets were free for the migrants left stranded (without jobs or money) by the national lockdown.
However, migrant workers in Surat, waiting to take a “shramik” service to Odisha, told a NDTV they paid up to Rs 850 for their ticket. They also said the tickets were priced above normal rates, despite government assurance they wouldn’t be charged for the journey home.
Now, BJP workers we met in Surat have admitted to playing an active role in registering migrants on the trains and collecting money for the tickets. Bhavin Topiwala, the secretary of the BJP’s youth wing in Surat, showed us a wad of cash and a bunch of tickets.

“These are tickets for people going to Uttar Pradesh. Each ticket costs Rs 590, for the one going to Prayagraj. We got the migrant workers registered and then gave the list to the authorities. We then collected the money (from the workers),” he said.
When asked about the BJP claiming the tickets were free, he shook his head. “The price of the ticket will have to be paid,” he insisted, adding that there were many BJP workers, like himself, working to register migrants and collect money for the tickets.
When asked for the party’s response, Nitinbhai Thakkar, President of Surat BJP, said: “The BJP has asked people from north India, which includes our party workers, to come forward and help migrants. They are making the lists, collecting money for the tickets and handing to the authorities”.
The number of “shramik” trains being organised from Surat – approximately 75 – is barely enough to transport around 15 lakh migrants who work in the city’s textile and diamond-processing plants, creating an enormous demand for tickets.
Moreover, there is no publicly available information about the fares fixed for these trains. The Railways has not published a list; only These guidelines say: “Fare for subject trains shall be as follows: Fare for Sleeper Express Trains + Superfast charge (Rs 30) + additional charge of Rs 20”.
Mr Topiwala shared a consolidated rate list for trains traveling to Uttar Pradesh; he said the list had been displayed outside registration centres run by BJP workers.
“Wherever we have centres, we have put this up. We got these rates from the District Magistrate,” he said.The DM, however, was not available for comment.The rates shared by the BJP showed that trains to Uttar Pradesh cost between Rs 565 and Rs 665 per ticket.

However, we also met multiple migrant workers in Surat who said they applied for tickets through “booking agents” and paid between Rs 750 and Rs 850 for tickets to Uttar Pradesh.
(With Inputs Agency).

Print

About the Author

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>